Maybe you are traveling across country to run in a marathon. Maybe you are a high school or youth travel team athlete traveling for sports to compete in a tournament. Long distances to travel, time changes and more can decrease your energy and hurt your athletic performance.
In this video, I suggest some ideas that could help you perform at your best when competing away from home:
• Change practice or training times before you leave to the time of the competition.
• Get active on the flight or bus ride.
• Arrive with enough time to adjust to the new time zone.
• Avoid long naps during the adjustment period.
• Limit training and exercise to moderate intensity in the first few days after arrival.
• Adjust your meals as needed.
• Drink plenty of water.
• Avoid alcohol.
In this short video, I explain how each of these suggestions might help you feel better, decrease your risk of injury and perform better when it matters.
Tips for healthy eating when traveling for sports competitions
Eat healthier when traveling for tournaments or competitions